Some wise sage once reminded us that "Time is the most precious coin we have. Be careful not to let others spend it for you." I try to keep that in mind when I find myself being tugged in too many directions. If writing and getting published is on the top of your To Do List these days, then stay on track (and save those precious coins) by attending the Craft of Writing Workshop on Friday, September 12 at St. Augustine's lovely Casa Monica Hotel.
- Ancient City Chapter – Saturday, August 16 at 10:00 a.m. at St. Augustine's Main Library. FWA member Nancy Quatrano talks about Writing for Credit and Money. This workshop is designed to provide practical instruction on how to write for both credit (building your resume) and money while strengthening your writing skills.
- Ponte Vedra Chapter – Saturday, August 23 at 10:30 a.m. at the Ponte Vedra Branch Library. Nancy Haddock is riding the wave of popularity of paranormal romances with her bestselling debut novel, La Vida Vampire. The mystical and mythical are red hot in today's market these days, and Nancy says the possibilities are limitless. Join Nancy as she discusses the array of paranormal markets, what editors are looking for, and how to add a dash of the supernatural flavor to break into the market.
- Don't forget to register for the 7th Annual FWA Conference, November 14-16 at the Lake Mary Marriott. You also have to be a member to attend the conference, so now is the time to renew that membership, and climb abroad for a fantastic 3-day event. Here's what you get — Three days of outstanding workshops and presentations, 24 book industry experts, agents, editor and publishers, plus the Royal Palm Literary Awards Banquet. The conference also offers networking opportunities, professional exhibits, a silent auction to promote literacy throughout Florida, and a bookstore. FWA is now 800 strong and you'll be sure to take away much more value than the cost of the registration. For details and a registration form, go to the FWA website.
- And while we're talking events for writers, the Florida Heritage Book Festival includes the Literary Legends Awards dinner this Saturday at the World Golf Village Conference Center. Join us at 6:00 p.m. as we honor Jack Hunter, Stetson Kennedy and Patrick Smith. Then before September 12, you'll want to register for the Craft of Writing Workshop as detailed above. That evening, you're invited to the Meet the Authors Reception at the Markland House on the Flagler College Campus. Many of the authors will be there for this meet and greet of the literary elite. The cost is $25 and includes drinks and hors d'oeuvres. Call Marie Cashat at 904-940-0890 for reservations. On Saturday, September 13, the festival continues with a full day of author talks, panel discussions, book signings,children's activities and more. Among the noted Florida authors are NY Times Bestseller, Heather Graham, plus Les Standiford, Cassandra King, Robert McComber, Bob Morris, Janis Owens and dozens more. It's all free except for the Keynote Authors Luncheon where you'll enjoy the fine food of the Casa Monica Hotel plus hear from Heather Graham and Les Standiford. Again, click here for details.
- June Weltman will be teaching two 8-week adult education classes on Writing Mysteries for Children & Teens this fall. June is the author of Mystery of the Missing Candlestick, which is set in St. Augustine. The classes are at Mandarin High, from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. starting September 11. Registration will be held from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the school on August 26, 27 and 28. Call Kathy Cook at 904-260-3911, Ext. 207 for information or visit www.duvalschools.org/mhs.
- Fall is the time for book festivals on the First Coast, and after visiting the Florida Heritage Book Festival, head north for the Amelia Island Book Festival on Saturday, October 4. The festival moves back to St. Peters campus with a full day of presentations, panel discussions and book signings featuring authors like Steve Berry, Louis Bayard and Laura Moriarty,plus 22 more authors. Click on Amelia Island Book Festival for full details.