This year's "Stars of Florida Writers" conference, October 23 - 26 at the Orlando Marriott Lake Mary, is sure to hit all the hot buttons for writers of all levels and genres. It begins with the traditional FWF Celebrity Author Workshop on Thursday as New York Times bestselling author Marie Bostwick shares writing secrets from conception to publication. And, for the first time, there are Thursday evening workshops, which were free with early registration, but now for only an extra $35 when you register for at least one day of the conference.
Click here for all the latest information on registration, the schedule, and the speakers.
Now, let's move on to the happenings here in NE Florida for the month of October.
- The Nassau County branch of FWA known as the Amelia Island Writers group, meets Tuesday, October 7 at 6:15 p.m. at the Marina Seafood Restaurant in Fernandina Beach. Contact group leader Maggie deVries for meeting details. She also appreciates RSVPs, so the restaurant staff knows how many tables and chairs to reserve for the meeting.
- The River City Writers will gather together on Tuesday, October 14 at 7:00 p.m. at Jacksonville's SE Branch Library to hear from horror writer John Maycumber telling us "How to Create Fear in Your Writing." For info, email Gregg at email@example.com.
- Area editor, writer, and all-around good person Nancy Quatrano takes center stage at the Clay County Writers meeting on Wednesday, October 15, 6:15 p.m. at the Orange Park Library. Nancy's presentation is titled, "How to Build a Writing Platform," and she'll share ways for you to build writing credits, establish a following, and earn cash.Questions? Contact group leader Maureen Jung.
- Jax Youth Writers will meet on Thursday, October 16 from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the SE Branch Regional Library. Group leader Kimberly Smith tells us that going forward, the group of young writers will meet twice a month on the first and third Thursdays. They'll meet again on November 6 for a critiquing session and to work on a group project. If you know of any young writers who might be interested in joining this group, please contact Kimberly, and check out the Florida Youth Writers here.
- The Ancient City Writers meeting is set for Saturday, October 18 at 10:00 a.m. inside St. Augustine's Main Library. Novelist Ron Whittington will discuss "The Craft of Writing & Marketing in 2014."
- The Ponte Vedra Writers meeting has been moved from its traditional 4th Saturday of the month schedule to Saturday, October 18 due to the conflict with the FWA Conference. Join us at the Ponte Vedra Library at 10:30 a.m. to welcome novelist M. W. Gordon, author of the Macduff Brooks fly fishing mystery series. Mike is an FWA RPLA award winner, and a former law professor at the University of Florida. His workshop is titled, "Don't Write Like I Write," and reviews the various choices facing writers as they work to publish their finished manuscript, and how each decision impacts the desired outcome.
- The Nassau County Youth Writers meet the first and third Tuesdays of the month at the Peck Center in Fernandina Beach. Email Jim Weinsier for details.
- And finally, don't forget FWA affiliate, the First Coast Christian Writers, meeting each Thursday at 6:45 p.m. at the Webb-Wesconnett Library.
- New Smyrna Beach Book Festival — October 4 - 5, Islander Beach Resort
- Digital Publishing with Kindle Seminar — October 4, Winter Park Library
- Florida Sisters in Crime meets Saturday, October 4 at Dgg Tactical, 8725 Youngerman Court off Blanding Blvd. with a weapons demonstration by CEO Teresa Meares. They will also accept nominations for 2015 officers.
- Internationally acclaimed author Robert N. Macomber, writer of the Honor series of maritime historicals, will speak at the Ponte Vedra Library at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, October 13. This is a rare opportunity to meet this award-winning author as he lives in S. Florida and spends much of his time lecturing in Europe.